The first ever DRC Junior Triathlon event was a huge success, wow, just wow! Over 50 athletes competed, giving their best and showing us their swimming, cycling and running skills. Well done to each and every athlete who completed the race. Full results here >>
Winners of the 8-10 years category were:
- 1st Benjamin Howse
- 2nd Stanley White
- 3rd Billy Smith
Winners of the 11-13 years category were:
- 1st Lucy Holdsworth
- 2nd Luke Davies
- 3rd Jacob Brounger
Winners of the 14+ years category were:
- 1st Aneurin Earle
- 2nd James Durden
This event could not have happened without the huge support of all those who planned, organised and delivered the event, so a huge thank you to everyone who helped. A few specific call outs to Martin Bragg, Tara Truman and Annette Keevil (our area leads) and our sponsors; The Pulse (thanks to Ange and team for the swimming, pool, spin room and help on the day), Emsea (our amazing medals and trophies supplier) and Sainsbury’s (the snacks).
This event was so successful we may even do it again next year!
Those who have registered will have been sent an email, but just in case it doesn’t arrive, and for those who are curious about how the event will run, some details before the day:
- The race will begin in the pool at the Pulse Dursley, athletes will need to be in appropriate swimwear ready for the safety brief and instructions at 3.45pm, we recommend arriving by 3.30pm. (Parents/guardians please supervise changing as required). Please ensure you let reception know you have arrived.
- We will number each athlete by writing a number on the athlete’s arm with a marker pen (please advise us if this is a problem – it is our easiest way of identifying athletes).
- After the swim, athletes will ‘transition’ e.g. take off goggles and swim hat and then put T-shirt, socks and trainers on, and then line up (when in the line we will stop the stopwatch). We will then walk athletes through to the spin room where athletes will then start the race again. After the cycle athletes will run to the recreational ground and complete their run distances. The finish line is on the recreational ground. Athletes will have two times that will then be added together to provide a final result.
- There are three age groups for this competition and athletes will swim, cycle and run distances dependent upon age;
- Age 8-10 will swim 50m, cycle 2k and run 800m
- Age 11-13 will swim 100m, cycle 3k and run 1200m
- Age 14+ will swim 200m, cycle 4k and run 1600m
- Parents/guardians you will be able to watch from the reception observation area and out on the recreational ground, but sorry there will not be space pool side or in the spin room. We will still go ahead in rainy weather provided it is not a complete thunderstorm, so be prepared to stand in the rain on the recreational ground to cheer our athletes through the finish line.
Mini Athletics had a great start, despite the wind and slightly colder weather we had a good turn out and as always the game of Sinking Ships resulted in a group of cheerful children, who unbeknownst to them were practicing their sprint start and agility skills.
‘Try Out Tri’ registration has opened and planning for this continues. DRC members have been given the first chance to sign up, this goes out to the general public for registration soon, so sign up quick; we have more than 20 registered already.
We are struggling to organise our celebratory event for the summer hols as so many places are booked up so we might need to do this in September. This does have the advantage that fewer of you will be on holiday. Our Junior athletes have done so well this year though so we’re keen to get something organised.
We have a couple of positions on the Junior committee we would like to fill; membership secretary and social officer. Membership secretary would help look after the membership admin – checking people have paid and completed the membership forms, completing the EA membership when required. The social officer will work with the main club social committee and DRFC social committee this is a new role and will hopefully help us to secure our bookings. So if you have time you can give to support the Junior section and you think you could do one of these roles, or any other role, please let me know.
Have a great week.
A bit late again sorry, lots of organising underway
Well clearly the highlight of this week was the DRC Juniors 2018 Summer Athletics Championship. I saw some great running, hurdles, long jump, speed bounce and javelin and I saw some juniors trying out some events that were new to them. There were slightly fewer adults competing this year (will have to work on that for next year!). And to finish off the BBQ was very welcome.
So as I said at the time, these events do not happen without the support from the coaches and parents. So to everyone that helped and supported the event a HUGE thank you.
So looking forward:
- Mini Athletics – registration now closed.
- Advanced Athletics – cancelled (but Dave has organised one final Wednesday session (01/08) for our older junior athletes).
- Celebratory event (Cotswold Water Park/Go Ape etc.) date to be confirmed – planning in progress.
Normal athletics programmes are expected to resume in September (Wednesdays 6.15 for yr7+, Thursdays 6.30 for all and Saturdays time tbc for all).
The DRC Juniors committee will be meeting soon, if you would like to get more involved please let me know, we could always do with more help from coaching, to looking after some of our admin (e.g. membership details), to organising events.
Keep cool in this hot weather and enjoy the start of the holidays.
Another fairly quiet week with some great performances at the Midsummer Open, although owing to the football perhaps, lower attendance this week than the week before. Thursday athletics included some less well practised events; discus and triple jump to mention a couple.
Mini Athletics is well subscribed and we have plans for delivery of that. We think we will need some more adult help though, so if you are available to help at any of these sessions please let me know.
Advanced Athletics looks like it may move, as a few have stated a preference for Sundays. Dave is liaising directly on this programme though so please speak to Dave if you have thoughts on this.
Meanwhile I have been busy planning ahead; 21st July for summer championship. 8th Sep Try Out Tri. Autumn (Kickstart) Athletics programme to start in Sep. Indoor Athletics hopefully in January, and more Yate sessions (on their new track) for the summer of 2019!
Just a reminder if you need dates, location or registration details for any of our events or programmes I keep our website calendar updated and links to our various forms are here too.
Have a great week!
Wednesday saw the first of the Midsummer Open events. See post by Dave for results. Thursday was another warm evening of athletics training on the track. I was busy taking lots of photos.
So many podium paces! We have had a great week in the competitions. Check out the photos.
Of the results I can find:
- Liam – Cheltenham U14 Championship: 1st shot put, 3rd vortex
Holly – Cheltenham U14 Championship: 3rd speed bounce, 3rd long jump, 3rd 600m, 1st hurdles, 2nd vortex
- Tom – Cheltenham U14 Championship: 2nd high jump, 3rd long jump
- Jack B – Cheltenham U14 Championship: 1st high jump, 2nd 800m, 1st vortex, 1st 1500m
- Jack – Cheltenham U14 Championship: 3rd high jump
Harry – Cheltenham U14 Championship: 3rd long jump, 2nd vortex
- Jake – Berkeley Castle Dash – 10k winner male under 13
So all that training has paid off on the day.
This week included the usual Wednesday and Thursday training sessions too. They were hot sessions, but we had some really good skills development on display (and some incredibly high standing hurdle jumps).
The Midsummer series starts on Wednesday this week, so for the U13 group upwards more opportunities to test out that training. For more information and to register follow this link.
- Summer Championship Event 21st July at Dursley Rugby Club.
- Mini Athletics (for 4-7 year olds) at Dursley Rugby Club; 10.00-10.30 on 28/07, 04/08, 11/08, 18/08, 25/08. Register here >>.
- Advanced Athletics (for 14-18 year olds) at Dursley Rugby Club; 9.45-10.30 on 28/07, 04/08, 11/08, 18/08, 25/08. Register here >>.
Have a great week,
DRC Junior Chair & Coach
Another smashing week of athletics! Wednesday started with some high jump and some 200m and 400 running. Thursday included a wide range from javelin, to long jump to hurdles.
The final Yate Saturday session was a scorcher but nevertheless included more high jump practice and some sprints. Congratulations to Sophie for being awarded the athlete of the week.
1st July Cheltenham U14 Championship Event
21st July DRC Juniors Summer Championship Event
28th July start of Mini Athletics programme (5 week programme)
28th July start of Advanced Athletics programme (5 week programme)
8th September ‘Try out Tri’ Event
Have a great week!
Wednesday Yr7+ athletics went ahead, as did Thursday athletics. Continued good training developing those core skills. Check out the photos.
Saturday was our break from the Yate sessions but Sunday was the Cheltenham U14 Championships and the Slimbridge Village Sports event. Bill Smith pulled off an amazing long jump gaining a 1st, well done. He also ran well in the 800m. Tom Smith also ran a good 100m; placing 3rd in his heat and showed great technique in the high jump.
If I’ve missed other please let me know – it’s great to celebrate the achievements of our athletes.
Looking forward; Wednesday athletics will hopefully include some high jump practice. Thursday will include a range of training to include; discus, long jump, hurdles and high jump.
Saturday will be back to Yate for Long Jump and Javelin.
The next competition event is the next U14 event at Cheltenham on 1st July. FYI I put all the links and details for each competition event on the google calendar entry (available on the Juniors page of the website) and Facebook event.
We will soon put out some more info about the ‘Mini Athletics’ sessions. These are for 4-7 year olds and will be on Saturdays at the Rugby Club from Sat 28th July. And also the ‘Try out Tri’ event in September. So keep watching this space.